Saturday, September 22, 2007

September 22, from John

Everyone, (Mostly my sons and son in laws)

Sure do love you and thought I would share some everyday events with you about driving here in Al Husn and northern Jordan. Lets start with driving. All the main roads are all torn up all the time. (Ben, this one is for you)... Just when you find a nice stretch of highway where you can get to really get going, you begin to think of police and speeding tickets (you see, I'm doing about 120 kilometers now) OUT of no where there is a *SPEED BUMP* across the entire road. No warning, no markers, no signs... just skid marks. These suckers are about 12 inches tall and not tapered!!! Who needs COPS when you got unannounced speed breakers? I hit one the other night coming back from a desert town at about *70 MPH*. I am a believer in Honda suspensions and straight momentum....

Now lets talk about traffic lights. The lights are strategically placed so when you stop, you can't see them turn green. No worry, because the car behind you can see the light and he will lay on his horn and give hand gestures when the light turns! I have a new game I play. I watch the traffic from the oncoming sides begin to slow down and I try to time the green light. So far I'm beating about 1 out of every 3 horns. Your mother gets kinda scared when an on coming driver tries to beat his yellow light and it turns red on his side. There are a lot of skid marks in the intersection. That's a dead give away, it's a quick turning light! I'm catching on!

Where there is a divided highway, don't miss your left turn exit, because there is a concrete barrier between the other side and you won't get a chance to turn around for about 10 miles. They make them just high enough that your car will bottom out just as you center it, leaving you straddled. We see cars all the time with 6+ people out pushing and pulling while cars go by blowing their horns.

Let's talk about painted lane lines. At least I thought that's what the were. Rather, I have come to know these are for centering your car over for quick lane maneuvering. Don't expect a blinker because most are broken and if he's in front of you, he's got you right where he wants you! I've come to know Everyone wants to be in front. The painted lane lines just mean you can get 4 cars in 2 lanes battling for the lead.....For Real!! If it's a one lane road then 3 cars all pull up to a light and it reminds me of when we were in high school drag racing down South Cobb Drive from light to light. Occasionally I find myself in the front line and enjoy pushing the Honda civic up to 6000 RPMs in between shifts to clear the mess behind me. Not much of a race when you're up against 20 year old Datsuns. Your Mom just says...JOHN !! and grins.

You don't have to worry about deer running out in front of you because they don't exist. In fact I don't think we have seen anything dead on the road. BUT look out for loose goats and stray sheep while your driving out away from the cities. They think they own the road. A ram goat *WILL * protect his flock and literally butt your car. Dodge Ram Pickup trucks got nothing on these guys!!! Well say hello to the police on the Watterson and be thankful for no unannounced speed breakers...
Love Dad

No comments: